Friday, April 6, 2012

And when dey was no crawdads, we et sand..

I wet out the deck with as little epoxy as I could to save weight. The first coat went on with a bondo spreader, and I used just enough to wet out the cloth completely, scraping all of the excess off. The second and third coats went on with a foam roller - very thin coats, just enough to fill the weave of the cloth, with an overnight cure between first and second coats, and about 4 hours between second and third coats.

After 24 hours of curing, I began sanding the deck. I started with 100 grit and knocked the high spots off, being careful not to sand the edges along the chines of the boat. It's incredibly easy to sand right through the glass and into the wood whenever there's a sharp curve or edge. Best to sand those spots by hand or with the sander on lowest speed. After the 100 grit, I moved to 150 grit, then 220 grit. Yep, it's skipping grit, but I ain't building a piano. Also, I plan to install rubrails, which means I don't have to be overly fastidious about the round-over at the chine. I hit that enough to remove the high spots to make sure the rubrail will draw up tight.  All told, it took me no more than about an hour to sand the deck in its entirety (probably less, because whenever you're sanding, one minute feels like five). Next, coaming and hatches.

No comments:

Post a Comment