Friday, April 6, 2012

Coaming in pieces

I decided to do the glue-up of the coaming in two stages, partly to make it easier to handle, and partly so that I could clean up the outer edges of the spacers. First, I clamped them in place and marked the cockpit hole, and cut it out fairly close (+1/4 inch) to the actual size to make clamping easier. Next I slathered the spacers with thickened epoxy and clamped them in place with a layer of wax paper under them so they wouldn't stick to the deck. The result: two spacers, formed to fit the curve of the deck. The picture shows them with the outer edges sanded.

Gluing the coaming assembly to the deck was a bit fiddly. It took a lot of clamps.

I found it was easiest to start by clamping the assembly firmly at the aft centerline, adding clamps going forward. Cockpit = lamprey.

By the way, you know how it's a herd of buffalo, a murder of crows, a gaggle of geese, a shrewdness of apes (really), a pod of whales, a shiver of sharks (no, really), a parliament of owls, a troubling of goldfish (really, I'm not kidding), and so forth? I'd like to suggest a grasp of lamprey.

No comments:

Post a Comment