Sunday, February 23, 2014

Cockpit paint and footbrace installation

I decided to paint the cockpit. Before I did, though, I should have installed some hip braces, which make it so you can wedge foam pieces in there and give yourself a nice snug fit when you're paddling. So the upshot is that when I did install the braces, I had to sand some of the paint off to get down to a surface that would be good for gluing. In this photo, if you look closely, you can see the footbrace block on the starboard side. That's what the sliding footbrace will mount onto.


Here's one of the little nylon spacers I used for the footbraces. It's snug on the stainless bolt, and also fits inside the slot of the footbrace. I cut it so that it was just a bit thicker than the sliding footbrace, so that when I fit a washer and a wingnut on the bolts, they'll tighten down snug enough to keep the footbraces from sliding. I'm really pleased with the way they work, but the next pair I make is going to have some more intelligently shaped footpegs. I also think that I didn't really need to make them so adjustable. As it is, they'll accommodate heights from about 4'2" to about 6'6".




No comments:

Post a Comment