Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Hull

I started at the bow and alternating sides, added four or five stitches at a time, until the entire hull was stitched together. With a bit of attention to making sure the panels were coming together evenly, the hull begin to resolve nicely into a satisfyingly kayakesque shape.

I include the picture below not to show the hull, but to showcase my excellently adorned sawhorses. Ji Xia and I made them for this project out of scrap wood from the city dump (I'm a cheap bastard), and she was kind enough to paint scenes on them for me. Notice the fine rainbow she painted on the one at left, and the startlingly realistic painting of her playhouse on the one at right. It shows the roof architecture in impressive detail, as well as a true-to-life rendering of the swing, with its yellow chains and green seat. You can see part of the actual playhouse in the background at right.  She's an excellent painter of playhouses, rainbows, and other things. (Thanks again, Uncle Stinky, for the playhouse!)

No comments:

Post a Comment